The Visual Modality
learner remembers 75% of what the read or see.
Demonstrations from the blackboard,
diagrams, graphs and charts are all valuable tools for the visual learner.
Generally, analytic visual
learners will process the printed word before iconic
Generally, global visual learners
will process iconic (pictorial) information before reading
the printed text.
The Auditory Modality
The auditory learner
MUST HEAR things for them to have the best chance of
Only 30% of the general school-age population is
Generally, the auditory learner will remember 75%
of what they hear in a lecture.
Using the auditory modality is the most
difficult way to learn new material.
The Tactile -
learner must DO things for them to have the best chance of
learner remembers best the things they experience.
Kinaesthetic learning involves
use of the whole body rather than just hands-on.
Getting information from written
materials or by listening is not as easy as aforementioned
LEFT BRAIN DOMINANT LEARNER
Traits of the Analytical Thinker:
- Tend toward the linear, step-wise processes of learning.
- Tend to see finite elements (details) of patterns rather
than the whole; they are the tree seers rather than
- Tend to be more comfortable in a world of details and
- Make decisions based on logic, facts and common sense.
- Like to work in an organized environment.
- Like to do one thing at a time.
- Learn best when information is presented sequentially
- Speak with few gestures.
- Prefer quiet, well-lit, formal environmental design.
- Have a strong need to complete the task they are working
- Respond well to words and numbers.
- Need visual reinforcement.
- Tend to give directions and underline or highlight
- Give details in their feedback.
- Are said to have left-brain dominance (Roger Sperry).
Will tend to say things like:
- Should I use a pen or pencil?
- Is this going to be in the test?
- When is this due in?
- Can I have more time?
- What should I do first?
- Can you check my work/draft/plans?
- Is this how you do it?
- What do you think of this?
RIGHT BRAIN DOMINANT LEARNER
Traits of the Global Thinker:
- Tend to make decisions based on emotions and intuition.
- Prefer working in an informal, less structured, more
- Tend to be spontaneous and like spontaneity.
- Enjoy doing several things at once.
- Learn best when information is presented with humour or
emotion, a short anecdote.
- Speak with many gestures.
- Tend to learn the general idea first, then look at the
- Can work well with distractions.
- Tend to take frequent breaks.
- Tend to need lessons which are interesting to them on a
- Discover well through group learning (small group
- Need written and tactile involvement.
- Respond well to pictures.
- Are said to have right-brain dominance (Roger Sperry).
Will tend to say things like:
- Why are we doing this?
- Can I do it later?
- I need a break.
- I can't work when it's quiet.
- Can I work with (another student or group of students)?
Back to Top.
For enquiries Phone:
Local - 08 9386 9429 - Mobile: 0407 383 635